908 647 1022 x 153 Phone
Eric Tunis is a Shareholder of Herold Law, P.A. His practice focuses on counseling clients in litigation, employment law, and white collar defense.
Mr. Tunis is a trial and appellate attorney with over thirty years of experience litigating criminal and complex civil cases. As a criminal defense attorney for twenty years and a federal prosecutor for ten years, he has had first-chair responsibility in high profile criminal investigations, trials and appeals, particularly in the areas of public corruption and white collar fraud. He also has extensive experience litigating complex civil cases, representing corporations, partnerships and individuals in business and employment disputes, and conducting internal investigations.
Mr. Tunis has tried many criminal and civil cases to verdict in United States District Court and New Jersey Superior Court, and has made numerous appearances before the United States Court of Appeals and the New Jersey Supreme Court and Appellate Division.
Prior to joining Herold Law, P.A., Mr. Tunis was an Assistant U.S. Attorney, Newark, New Jersey; Deputy Chief, Fraud and Public Protection Division, U.S. Attorney’s Office, Newark, New Jersey; served as Law Clerk to The Honorable Herbert J. Stern, United States District Court, District of New Jersey, 1984.
Representative Cases include
- Successful defense of the General Counsel of a publicly traded company alleged to have violated the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- Successful defense of the owner of a securities company charged with defrauding the State of New Jersey
- Lead attorney for high-ranking New Jersey official sentenced to probation after being tried on nineteen counts of official misconduct.
- Successful appeal to the New Jersey Supreme Court of life sentence under “three strikes” statute.
- Successful appeal of official misconduct conviction.
- Successful prosecution of Mayor of Jersey City, New Jersey.
- Successful prosecution of North Bergen Housing Authority.
Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Speaker, Tools of the Trade: The Top Procedural Devices for Trial Lawyers – Strategies that Get Results
- Sponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, August 27, 2015
- Speaker, Tools of the Trade: Procedural Devices Available to the Trial Lawyer
- Sponsor: New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Summer 2014
Honors and Awards
- Listed in New Jersey Super Lawyers in the Criminal Defense White Collar practice area (2008-present)
- Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rated AV® Preeminent (a trademark of Internet Brands, Inc. (1996-present)